PCSing to Hawaii- Military Guide to Hawaii Living: Car Registration and Base Access

PCSing to Hawaii- Military Guide to Hawaii Living: Car Registration and Base Access

Moving across the country, away from your family to start your life with the military is one thing, moving across the ocean is a whole different ball game. Finding out that you and your family are being stationed in Hawaii is a dream come true, but this dream comes with the stresses of finding housing, doctors, and friends while across the ocean on the mainland. Oahu Spine and Rehab wants to help you make your transition to Hawaii a smooth one; whether it is your first duty station or your last.

The island of Oahu is covered in military bases, making most resources to you pretty close by. OSR is located in Kailua, which is right out of the back gate to MCBH. Most of this guide will be based around experiences on the Marine Corps Base, but are comparable for the other bases. Our second installment will be a guide on how to deal with Hawaii registration and safety checks with your car, as well as how to get a base access pass.


Recommended Order of Actions:

Hawaii no-fault insurance

Safety check

Car registration

Base Pass


Safety Check Vehicle Inspections

In order to get your safety check done you will need a copy of your vehicles CURRENT registration and proof of Hawaii car insurance.

There is a chance that depending on the safety inspection service station will fail your safety check because you don’t have a Hawaii registration. Still take the failed safety check with you to the city hall because they will be able to tell that you only failed for that reason.

The safety inspection can generally be performed at any auto repair or auto service location. If you are unsure, make sure to call ahead to check. Some auto repair places only run security checks on certain days or with an appointment. Take all of these things into consideration when scheduling a safety inspection.

Some options near base are:

King Windward Nissan

45-568 Kamehameha Hwy
Kaneohe, HI 96744

(808) 486-4848

Lex Brodie’s Tire, Brake & Service Company

46-158 Malina Pl
Kaneohe, HI 96744

(877) 626-9486

Tenn’s Enchanted Lake Auto Center

1025 Keolu Dr
Kailua, HI 96734

(808) 263-1076

Car Registration

Whether you shipped your car over from the mainland, or are purchasing a new car while on island, you will have to deal with Hawaii’s car registration and safety check process. This process is different than on the mainland. In Hawaii, the DMV’s are actually called the “Satellite City Hall” and this is where you will need to go in order to get Hawaii license plates and a Hawaii license if needed.

Once you get to the island you must get your vehicle registered within 30 days. If you or your spouse is an active duty military member you do not have to pay for your vehicle registration. In order to receive this exemption you will need to pick up a Non-Resident Certificate from the Hawaii registration office, or from a CS-L (MVR) 50 from your military unit. In order to get your registration, you have to get a Safety Check done on your vehicle first.

According to dmv.org; to get your car registered you will need the following items before you go to the Satellite City Hall:

A completed Application for Registration of Motor Vehicle.

All owners listed on the title must sign the application.

The most recent out-of-state certificate of vehicle registration.

The out-of-state title.

shipping receipt or bill of lading documenting the date of the vehicle’s arrival.

You may fill out a Vehicle Arrival Certification form CS-L (MVR) 199 if you do not have either a shipping receipt or bill of lading.

A Hawaii certificate of safety inspection.

Proof of your vehicle’s weight by the manufacturer.

If you do not have manufacturer’s documentation, have your vehicle weighed on a certified scale.

Motor Vehicle Use Tax Certification form (G-27).

This form determines if you are required to pay use tax on your vehicle. Additional forms may be required.

For more information on this form, contact the Taxpayer Service Branch at (800) 222-3229.

MCBH Bass Pass

In order to get a base pass for MCBH you must go to the pass house that is on the right hand side of the main gate going onto the Marine Corps base. The exact location is:

Pass House
Building 1637
Next to the Main Gate (H-3)
(808) 257-2047
Open 7 days a week from 0600 until 1800 for passes.


In order to register your vehicle aboard MCBH you must have:

*Valid Hawaii State registration.
*Valid Hawaii no-fault insurance.
*Valid Hawaii State safety inspection.
*A valid state driver’s license.
*A DOD authorized identification card.
*Completed MCBH Vehicle Registration Form.
*Additional documents maybe required.

You can print out the MCBH Decal Application form here.

If you are missing any of these items they will not grant you a base pass. Temporary passes are also available.

Stressed from your big move? Here at Oahu Spine and Rehab we are here to help our patients and make their lives easier. OSR is located conveniently out the back gate of MCBH to help with all of the chiropractic, massage therapy, and physical therapy needs. Give us a call if you have any questions or to book your consultation today 808-488-5555!



*PCSing to Hawaii- Military Guide to Hawaii Living: Housing

*Military Appreciation here in Kailua! 







Leave a Comment

Schedule Your Consultation

Oahu Spine & Rehab – Over 100 Five Star Reviews!

Patient Reviews

Please contact us for a complimentary evaluation. Whether you are looking for physical therapy, rehabilitation by a medical doctor, or other physical treatments, we have you covered.

Helping Patients Restore Their Health

We are one of Hawaii’s very few physical medicine facilities that can offer you a variety of services all under one roof. If you are looking for massage, physical therapy, specific pain management, or other physical treatments we are here to help.

Scroll to Top