Psoriatic Arthritis refers to inflammation in your joints because of an overactive immune system. It is most common in people who have the skin disease – psoriasis that also originates from the immune system.
Types of Psoriatic Arthritis
There are five different types of Psoriatic Arthritis:
- Symmetric – affects two of the same join or several of the same joints, like both knees and/or both elbows
- Asymmetric – affects a few random joints throughout the body and joints may sweet from inflammation
- Distal interphalangeal – affects the small joints that are at the end of your toes and fingers
- Spondylitis – affects the vertebrae in your spinal column and causes inflammation in your neck, spine and pelvis
- Arthritis Mutilans – the rarest and most severe type of Psoriatic Arthritis, this type damages the small joints in your toes and fingers and causes deformation.
One of the best things you can do for joint pain is physical therapy, to help increase movement in the affected regions. Not only is physical therapy a great low-impact exercise, but we also provide other services that are highly recommended for this condition. Massage therapy, acupuncture and chiropractic care, and trigger point massage are all great options for pain relief for patients.
If you are looking for more information, or you or someone that you know is suffering from pain, give us a call today at 488-5555 to make an appointment.