PCSing to Hawaii- Military Guide to Hawaii Living: Dependent Military ID


Moving across the country, away from your family to start your life with the military is one thing, moving across the ocean is a whole different ball game. Finding out that you and your family are being stationed in Hawaii is a dream come true, but this dream comes with the stresses of finding housing, doctors, and friends while across the ocean on the mainland. Oahu Spine and Rehab wants to help you make your transition to Hawaii a smooth one; whether it is your first duty station or your last.

The island of Oahu is covered in military bases, making most resources to you pretty close by. OSR provides chiropractic and many other services located in Kailua, which is right out of the back gate to MCBH. Most of this guide will be based around experiences on the Marine Corps Base, but are comparable for the other bases. Our second installment will be a guide on getting your dependent identification and privilege card after arriving on the island. If you are PCSing from a different duty station then this step is probably already complete.

Dependent ID

A military ID card is an essential part of becoming a military family. If you are a military spouse you will need to obtain an ID in order to have base access, go to the commissary, get child care and to deal with health care. The military issues these IDs in order to receive the benefits and privileges of an active duty or retired service member.

Your military ID is sponsored by your spouse or military family member, because the benefits are given because of his role as a service member, he or she must be your sponsor. They have to be the one to get the forms and sign them in order for you to be issued an ID. According to if the service member is deployed or you married by proxy, you may obtain a DD Form 1172-2 to be signed and notarized in front of a verifying official or signed using a specific power of attorney for ID cards/DEERS. They can get more information on this from their command.

What to Bring

In order to get your ID you will need to bring in:

State issued photo ID or driver’s license

Social Security Card

Birth Certificate

Wedding License

Children’s birth certificates (If applicable)

Remember that all of these documents must be the originals and you will not be issued an ID with photocopies. This is crucial for your move to Hawaii, do not leave your original birth certificate at home, as mailing to the islands can take a while and be pricey if rushed. A helpful hint is to keep a folder with all of these important documents, bring all of them with you in these first few weeks on base because you will be needing these documents a lot.


Once you have all of the necessary documents your service member must enroll you in DEERS. DEERS is the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System which is basically the military’s database to keep track of all of those who qualify for military benefits. You will enroll at DEERS on the same day that you get your military ID, so make sure that your service member is present. Any dependents that are over the age of 10 need to be present at this time.

Your best bet will be to set up an appointment with DEERS on base in order to avoid long wait times. Your service members command may allow him to leave during the work day in order to make it to this appointment, but the wait times can be long; even with an appointment. Make sure they call ahead to schedule to speed up the process.

The service member will need to fill out the Form 1172-2 which will need to be verified before getting an ID.

The Military ID

Your military ID may seem simple, but it is actually full of useful information. The card can be used as a photo ID for any legal purposes. This card also allows you to get into the commissary, pay for items at the MCX and Marine Marts and access base. Make sure to always carry your ID card with you on base or your abilities will be limited without it.

On the front of the card, you have an expiration date which is usually around your service members EAS (end of active service) date. You also have your sponsor’s service or status where it will state their branch and their status (active duty, reserves, retired). Under that it will show your service members rank or pay grade, then their DoD ID number which is essentially their “social security number” for the military, this can be useful and sometimes needed for benefits. This also means that it anyone who checks your ID can easily find who your sponsor is, which is why it is important to make sure you are following all rules on base.

It will also show the authorized patronage which is generally the exchange, the MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation), and the commissary. The back of the card shows your date of birth, your benefits number which is used for healthcare. It has an effective and expiration date as well, which is the main thing that is looked at when getting base access or into the commissary.

Remember to never let anyone else use your military dependent card for any reason!


Stressed from your big move? Here at Oahu Spine and Rehab we are here to help our patients and make their lives easier. OSR is located conveniently out the back gate of MCBH to help with all of chiropractic, massage therapy,  physical therapy,physical medicine, radiology, pain management, acupuncture, and weight management needs. Give us a call if you have any questions or to book your complimentary consultation today 808-488-5555!



*PCSing to Hawaii- Military Guide to Hawaii Living: Base Access

*PCSing to Hawaii- Military Guide to Hawaii Living: Housing


Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter

Leave a Comment